1/2 cup toor dal
1 onion, sliced long ( 5,6 shallots)
1 tomato sliced long
1 drumstick, cut into 4″ pieces
1 cup tamarind pulp
2 green chilies,slit long
1 potato, cubed
3 tbsp sambhar powder
1/2 cup coconut, freshly grated
coriander leaver, finely chopped, for garnishing
2 tbsp coriander powder ( whole coriander seeds)
1 tbsp red chilli powder (whole red chillies)
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
hing, a pinch
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves
1. Cook the dal with water in a pressure cooker until 3 whistles. Add onion, tomato, green chillies and potato after 2 whistles.
2. Meanwhile add the drumstick pieces in boling water and cook them and start preparing the sambhar powder.
For the Sambhar powder:
a) Dry roast the coriander seeds and red chillies on low flame until they change to a light brown colour. Add the fenugreek seeds and hing. Roast by mixing continuously Keep flame on low and take care not to burn it.
b) When the mixture turns fragrant and the coriander seeds are brown, remove from fire and transfer to a dry plate. Cool completely and powder. Add grated coconut to the powder and grind again to a smooth paste
3. Add the tamarind pulp and drumstick in the cooker and bring to boil.
4. Add sambhar powder and allow it to boil for 2 mins. Pour some water if the sambhar is too thick and boil until the right consistency is reached.
5. Heat the oil for tempering in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds and when they pop, add curry leaves and dunk into the prepared sambar. Mix well and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.